The First Una Europa Competition on Global Governance Research
This interdisciplinary competition is part of the Dialogues between Policy-makers and Academia initiative,
promoted by Una Europa Seed Funding. The initial phase of the competition consists of the development of an
abstract. From all the proposals, the committee will select the five best abstracts, which must be defended at
the 2-day seminar taking place in Madrid (Spain) in May 2021.
The final phase will consist of the development of a fully-fledged paper. The following cash prizes will be awarded to the best and second-best research papers: first place (1.500 €) and second place (750 €).
All PhD students and Researchers from participating universities will be eligible for the First Una Europa
Competition on Global Governance Research Award.
The competition is based on a "people-centered approach to global governance", founded in the Sustainable Development Goals. The topics of the papers should address global governance regarding one or more of the following policy areas:
- Free Trade Agreements,
- Trade policies,
- Migration policies,
- Value chains,
- Climate change,
- Cooperation politics,
- Impact of global pandemics on the life of citizens or methodological approaches to investigate the mentioned and related issues.
A focus on Europe, while non mandatory, is also very much welcome.
- Written in English,
- 3 page maximum,
- No formatting requirements,
- Author/s name/s omitted (for double-blind review),
- If multiple authors, at least one author from a university from the Una Europa Alliance is a must,
- Abstract PDF cannot be password protected,
- Submissions after the deadline will not be accepted,
- Abstract/paper must be unpublished.
Our jury, composed of members of the Research Group on Global Governance, will evaluate the abstracts and
select the winners at full discretion, attending to originality, empirical results shown, written expression and
relevance to Una Europa main research topics. Prize is awarded on the merits of the presentation in Madrid
and on the fully-fledged paper.
- Abstract submission deadline: February 26, 2021 - Closed
- Communication of abstracts chosen for final phase: April 12-18, 2021
- Final candidates defense in Madrid: May 27-28, 2021 (2-day seminar)
- Fully-fledged papers submission deadline (5 finalists): September 10, 2021
- Winners announcement: December 2021 (Wrap-up seminar)
Finalists of the 1st Una Europa Prize on Global Governance
- Beatriz González Pérez "Expert system for monitoring COVID-19" - Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- Michal Kobielarz "A Theory of International Unions with Exits " - KU Leuven
- Claudiu Adrián Glodeanu "Social and territorial inequalities during and following the COVID-19 associated lockdown of the Asturias Autonomous Region (Spain)" - Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- Christopher Prömel "Belonging or Estrangement - the European Refugee Crisis and its Effects on Immigrant Identity" - Freie Universität Berlin
- Ervjola Selenica "Actors and sites of knowledge production on radicalization in Europe and beyond" - Alma Mater Studiorum Universitá di Bologna